Edie and I first tried energy balls when visiting Poa Cafe - a kid food (and play) haven in North Portland. It was evident that they were an instant win, as Edie kept reaching for more and polished off one big portion in a short sitting. I couldn't imagine them being hard to make so I had a go at them at home. Not only are they a great source of protein, this energy snack is fun and easy to make and requires no cooking whatsoever.
Almond Butter Energy Balls (recipe makes about a dozen large balls)
Prep time - 10 minutes. No cooking time.
1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup of almond butter - I use Trader Joe's brand
1 tbsp of chia seeds
1 tsp of vanilla extract (sans alcohol. I also use Trader Joe's brand.)
1/3 cup of raisins or craisins
1/4 cup of shredded coconut (optional)
Stir all ingredients together in a bowl and then chill in the fridge for about an hour. Scoop out with a big spoon and roll into balls and then store in an airtight container.
- Easy to eat - I love that I can eat these all by myself. No mama or dada needed!
- A little sweet - Eating these feels like a special treat
- Filling - After finishing one of these, I often tell mama or dada I'm "all done"
- Easy to make - Takes just 10 minutes to put together
- Simple and healthy - One ball packs a lot of punch and fills you right up
- Versatile - Perfect for kids and adults alike