Rachel's Ginger Beer has been on my mind for a while, especially because it offers nice non-alcoholic options during the weekday that still feel like a treat. I looked into it a bit and noticed that its origins are from Seattle. Combine that with an enticing offer from Sunset Fried Chicken for some decadent grub and you've got yourself a grown up and a kiddo winner!
Here's what Team Eaty Pie dug about our experience:
White peach ginger beer - Reminding me of a luxurious brunch cocktail, I loved the soft hints of peach and the fizziness of this drink. It's pretty feminine color was also appealing - so much so that Edie really wanted to try it.
Caramelized pineapple ginger beer - If you dare to imagine yourself lying on a warm sunny beach, drinking something tropical, you'll want to order this drink! It's sweet, a little buttery from the caramel and the island flavor also comes through the pineapple. I suspect it's even better in the summertime.
The GT sandwich - Being a sucker for General Tso's chicken, I immediately gravitated to this item. The chicken was tender, flavorful and smothered in a delicious sweet/sour sauce. The description said spicy but I didn't find it overly so. The bun was nicely toasted and very appealing to Edie, as well.
The OG sandwich - Hubby got this one and it's their signature fried chicken sandwich. I thought it was nice and tasty but nothing too special. It is noteworthy to mention that you can order any sandwich without the bun if you may be so inclined.
Hushpuppies - We ordered these primarily for Edie who loves carbie things, and it was a good choice. They came with a side of very spicy mayo, which we chose not to give her but hubby and I enjoyed making our tastebuds dance.
- Roomy - Lots of space to settle in and spread out. Their high-chairs are great too (from IKEA)
- Options - We enjoyed the diverse drink options. Aside from non alcoholic ginger beer, you can make any drink a cocktail too.
- Quick service - Everything came out quickly, so we got to enjoy the food and the drinks together. It also helped that we came during the weekday.
- Fun walls - I loved all the pictures of bunnies and other animals on the walls. It was fun to point at them.
- Space - When I got bored, I got up and roamed around, which no one seemed to mind
- Hushpuppies - I've never tried these before and had to have mo' mo' mo'. They're crunchy, a little sweet but I had to blow on them because they were very hot.
Rachel's Ginger Beer - 3646 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland OR.